Monday, December 11, 2006

Rules were made to be broken....

Well, well. Someone is paying attention to the dress code. According to the SJVC dress code for business students, this is what you are supposed to wear: Burgundy polo, black or khaki dress pants, brown or black shoes. Women’s shoes should be dressy with no more than a two inch heel. Your nametag should be worn at all times while on campus. Shirts should be tucked-in. Clothes should be in good repair. Men should be clean shaven (moustache and goatee are OK). One ring per finger. Earrings should be unobtrusive. Men can wear earrings, small studs only; no hoops. Men should wear an undershirt; white or black only. Black or brown sox.
Here’s a list of things that are not acceptable: tennis shoes, jackets with logos, shirts untucked (again w/ the untucked!), pants any other color than black or khaki, girls Capri dress pants, “stripper” heels, large or gaudy earrings, wearing sweatshirts or sweaters under your uniform shirt, hats or any type of head covering, nose, lip, eyebrow piercings, more than one set of earrings on the ears. Yep, lots of rules.
Why do we set such high standards? Why would we make your life so miserable? In a word: perception. People will judge you based on how you look. Remember my “bank” story? I was treated two different ways by the same bank teller, because of how I was dressed. Is it right? Is it fair? Not even close. But, that’s how it is. Our goal is to prepare you for success. If you feel the need to rebel against the dress code, you will feel the need to rebel against other things as well. I’ve seen it a million times. I had a student a couple of years ago that refused to tuck in his shirt. Every day he would walk into class and I would have to tell him to tuck in his shirt. After a couple of weeks, he’d walk in, I’d give him the “stink eye” and he’d walk right back out and tuck in his shirt. When he graduated, he asked me if I’d be a reference for a job. I told him that I wouldn’t because I couldn’t trust him to follow the rules and be a good representative of the college. He got mad but then he realized that I was right: all that time bucking the system had cost him a good reference and the possibility of a good job.
I look at people’s attitudes and how they respond to authority. If someone does what they’re told, does it without question and does a good job; that’s the person that I’ll help. That’s the person who probably doesn’t need my help! That person understands that life can be unfair, so play by the rules and you’ll succeed. Remember: rules are there for a reason. You don’t have to know what that reason is, just understand that someone put it into place for a reason; and that reason will most likely benefit you personally. So…tuck in those shirts!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey mr judd whats going on.
Im glad to see that your still getting on students about the dress code.
I got good news there is a good chance that I will start working with a marketing company come monday. I may also have a chance of being called back to work at a spanish radio station. The good thing is that they deal with access there. she wanted to see how i would do dealing with the program i am waiting for there responce today. Wish me luck.
chrystal esqueda started work this week. i still keep in touch with her.
Your old student
Maria ramirez

1:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

After I heard your story about what happened at the bank, I started to pay more attention to how they treat me whenever I go to the bank. And sure enough, they treated me according to how I looked that day. On the days that I had more time to get ready and dress up, they tend to want to carry on a conversation with me. However, the other days when I’m in a rush and dress down, all they want to do is hurry me up and send me out the door. I’m pretty sure that my appearance has something to do with that reason. Not only does it happen to me at the bank, but even when I’m on my way to school in my uniform. When I’m leaving to work in my regular clothes, they hardly even look at me or notice that I am there. However, when I am dressed in my uniform to come to school, they would stop me and ask “Are you going to work?” or say “Have a nice day at work!”. That is the reason why I believe you when you say that we are treated differently by our appearance.

12:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rules are the foundation of this country due to the fact theat our countrymen have given up much in order for us to live the lives that we are enjoying today and this due to the sacrifice that our forefathers have given up for us all. The rules that they had to live by is not something that most Americans can understand, because we are spoiled and have seem to have forgotten the meaning of rules and sacrifice. My life has been filled with sacrifice and rules and now that I have come back to school to get me a bonified college certificate the rules seem to be all worth it. The rules that people need to abide by are at time stricked, but they are there for a reason and that reason in these days are put in place to save lives or to strengthen thge hearts of a nation, but will rules prevail or will the weakness of our parenting skills that have seemed to have failed our children. My thoughts and history shows that I have many things that have seemed to be a weight on my mind and I think it is because my children and the way I have delt with my past. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I want my kids to better off than I had it when I was growing up and I know that they will have to follow many many rules in that time they will need to grow up and go to college and get better grades than their old man.

1:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Karen S.
People don't realize that rules are put into place for a reason. What would I do if I didn't have the discipline that I do for work and school? I don't like getting into trouble, but sometimes I do slip up. I had a job at a place down south and there was a part time person that would not be in uniform that really got to me. We all had the some color for everyday. We all wore scrubs.
I remember I seen some of the students here when they had to do mock interviews with short skirts on I thought taht was wrong. I guess I am more consecutive than others. I would not want someone to come to an interview I am conducting looking unprofessional.

1:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everybody needs rules, and the dress code does help us get prepared for a job. I'm in the business program and I love the uniform to be honest. I mean, it's not the best looking nor does it look that great on me, but hey...when I wake up in the morning it makes it so much easier to get ready by not having to worry about what to wear...hehe. You used to be pretty strict about the dress code when you were Dean, but now it seems not so much, but you did bust me a few times for my nose ring and my shirt being untucked once...but everybody will slip up from time to time but all in all having a dress code is a good thing that helps us in the long run when we get a job and to look professional.

10:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like rulesbecause they make the playing field a little even and I think that this is very important in these times ans ages. If rules werenot in place while I was growing up it would have been hell to pay. I like when people say to me that I don't listen to no body beacuse I am my own person, but in reality we all follow rules where ever we go. We follow the rules every day if you drive your car to the store when you stop at a stop sign or slow down near a school, rules are here for all of us and its good to know that we all have to do them because life goes on no matter what and better to know that the guy next to on the freeway will follow the rules by staying in his lane.

Peace Out.......

1:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home