Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Space...the final frontier

Sometimes, in the evening, I like to go outside and look at the stars. The first “star” to appear in the evening is not actually a star at all, it is the planet Jupiter. On some nights you can see Mars, Mercury, Venus, Jupiter and the Moon. On a very clear night you can see the Internation Space Station floating across the sky. I’ll stand staring into the night sky and think about the universe at large. When I was young I wanted to be a pilot or possibly an astronaut. However, my math skills are at best, second rate. So, that permanently put me out of the running for either of those vocations. However, my interest in all things extra-terrestrial remains. I’ve followed, with interest, the Mars Rovers and the Saturn/Titan missions. We’ve had two probes on the surface of Mars and a satellite orbiting Mars for over two years now. The original plan was that the rovers would last approximately 6-9 months. These machines are powered by solar panels that provide the “charge” for the internal batteries and assorted tools. As of last week, one of the two probes had traveled a total of approximately 6 miles over the last two years. Considering that it takes around 15 minutes for commands to reach Mars from Earth, that’s pretty good. Very careful planning goes into giving the probes direction, because, one false move and the probe could crash or fall of a cliff, and there’s the abrupt end of the mission.
I’ve been reading about the Huygens Probe that is orbiting around Saturn and its extensive system of moons. The largest moon Titan is almost as big as the earth. It has an atmosphere of hydrogen, helium and carbon dioxide. The ambient temperature is usually around -200 Fahrenheit. That is extremely cold. Your body would freeze completely through on the spot. It’s also interesting to note that the moon has volcanic activity, so one could extrapolate that Titan has some “hot spots”. The atmosphere isn’t breathable, but one could, with the right technology, convert some of the gases in the atmosphere to something breathable for very short periods, or so scientists believe. The Huygens probe is going to drop a smaller probe that will plummet through the atmosphere and record data along the way, finally crashing into the planet. That should give us something to think about and analyze for many, many years.
Two weeks ago, Pluto was demoted from planet status. Even though we can’t see Pluto with the naked eye, it’s definitely there. Voyager 7 passed by Pluto around 10 years ago and is still heading away from our solar system at approximately 53,000 mph. There is a belt of asteroids called the Kuiper Belt beyond Pluto. Voyager 7 will reach the belt in about 10 or 15 more years. Who knows what we’ll find there? Do you think that there is life on other planets? Not just algae, micro-organisms, bacteria or molds, but higher life forms. Life forms that think and reason. Why or why not?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I do believe there is another life form on other planets. Some would ask why. Well because different creatures of life develop the sources and I guess I can say body parts, to live in the environment that surrounds them. I mean there are people still arguing about how the life of human beings got put on planet Earth; does anyone really have the truth to that question, I believe not. If no one can know the truth to how life is put and grown on one planet, doesn’t mean that it doesn’t happen. I believe that if life forms like algae, molds, and bacteria can have some way of growing and surviving on the moon, then that should be the sign of life functioning on the moon. Since man kind was able to land on the moon it brings a thought that there could be some other life forms out beyond the atmosphere surrounding us, planet Earth. Maybe human beings haven’t found it yet but there are signs, otherwise how else would be able to even set foot on the moon.

10:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have never really thought about it. But it is possible that there could be some kind of extra terrestrial life out there. It’s kind of hard to believe that we’re the only ones in the whole universe that are capable of thinking and reasoning. Such a big place for only us to roam around in. Seeing as how technology keeps evolving better and faster every day it’s only a matter of time before we find a way to convert another planet to our so called home after we finish destroying this one. The only thing that I can’t figure out is if there is really other life out in space why haven’t we come across our neighbors of another planet. We have so much technology capable of doing such fascinating things if we really are determined to find out if there is really life out there why can’t we come up with something to at least detect them. I think that scary movie 3 is going to become realistic.

Joey Q

1:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I do believe that there are other things out there surrounding earth or other planets. If molds and bacteria can survive on other planets why wouldn't there be other creatures out there. There's some people who I've talked to that believe what they saw from the Matrix movies that we are just being controlled by machines. Others have said that the concept to that movie would be kind of interesting if it is true. People out there will probably be discussing situations like this for quite some time without ever finding a result.

1:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I do believe there is another life somewhere.I thought I heard they were looking of a new begining in Mars.I think it's kind of out of this world. If there is man landed in the moon. Mr.Judd, If there were a new planet in this place it would be a scaredplace to live. If we could live in a different i would like to live in Mars.With this new technology everything is believeable.You believe it or not there are living craeters out there in the new planets.

1:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess a person would be pretty narrow minded if they couldn't accept that there may be other human-like life out there somewhere. I don't stay awake at night pondering over it, I just accept that the "unknown" doesn't mean that it doesn't "exist." When I was a little girl I can remember my great-grandma Parks swearing that there hadn't been a man on the moon,that it was all a scam and that it was a prop used on a set to make the world believe. I don't agree obviously, but it's a good example of how far people will go to deny something could be real because of their fears of it if it was. Out at my dad's and grandmother's neighborhood in Arkansas there are more sightings of unknown objects than are reported to the media. I don't know what the reason is, but I have seen strange things out in the sky at my families homes. Nothing like little green men, but I have seen a round or oval shaped object with lights that had a weird glow and rotated what seemed to be a flashing light around the realm of the object and then it was gone. Also one night my grandmother Mary Yeley, my aunt Donna, and myself were on the front porch swing drinking coffee shooting the shit and all of sudden it was like a car head light flashed us right in the eyes, it was over as fast as it started and for a few seconds following there were what seemed to be a blinking light on six different positions in the sky and then they were gone too. We just sat there dumb founded. Keep in mind my grandmother lives down an old military dirt road with the closest neighbor being about six acres away. Make of it what you will.
Jackie
ps
did I mention my mother in-law is a "bleep?" Just thought I would add that in there.

1:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since I was a kid I can remember that people always were talking about outer space and/or Star Trek. I guess that was the time for imagination and hope, but now people don't seem to care about anything but themselves. As times passes us up I hope for the good times to come back when the whole family could go outside and throw out a blanket and plot themselves on the back lawn and look into the heavens together. Now a days families just don't do those things together anymore, I guess times have changed, but Nonetheless my dreams still exist. Science has come a long way since I was a kid and I hope to see a lot more before I kick the bucket. With people like Mr. Judd, life is a little easier around here because he makes it fun and interesting. And I do think that we are not alone.

1:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe that it is possible that there is life on other planets. After all, this planet that we live on can't just be the only one. Think about how excessive we are as people. If you go to any department store, you can find ten different things that all perform the same function. That must stand true for beings as well, theoretically. As far as what we can conceive, there must be other life forces out there somewhere asking the same about us. Beings that are light years ahead of us in technology, adaptation and other things. Who really knows? Will we be around when researchers and scientist are able to find out? You never can tell. I think that it would be a phenomenal thing to have the capability to live like Star Trek and Star Wars suggests, traveling to different colonies and planet, meeting and networking with other life forms. Imagine jumping in your pod, going into cryogenic sleep and heading off to visit your friend on Rygon 6. Good times!

Chris Christopherson

1:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home