Thursday, September 28, 2006

If only one thing remains constant, it is change...

Change. People getting together, people growing apart. It happens. We as humans expend so much energy looking to interact. No man is an island unto himself, or so the quote goes. When I think about the things that are getting ready to happen, I feel so excited, overwhelmed, humbled, scared and a million other things all at once. In order for us to grow as individuals, we have to change. Running water becomes stagnant when it stops moving. Sometimes change can be brought about by a major upheaval in your life. A divorce, death of a loved one, a birth, loss of a job, starting a new job. Sometimes, we have an epiphany, a divine revelation that things are going to, and must change. We might take steps to control the change so that we feel comfortable with the pace. This is certainly a luxury that most people are not able to have. Don’t be afraid to stand on the edge and look over the side. You can always take a step or two back. I read the back of some guy’s T-shirt once and it read, “If you’re not standing on the edge, you’re taking up too much room”. I thought to myself that that point of view is pretty extreme. Now that I’ve grown older (and wiser – yes, I know: that phrase again!), I can see the wisdom in this. You never really live until you step into the unknown, if even for just a second. The dreams of youth are the regrets of maturity, I’ve heard it said. I’m not sure if that is entirely accurate. I dreamed my whole life of being a professional musician. I wanted to play drums full-time and to make a good living doing it. Even though I haven’t had my name in lights, I’ve made some pretty good money playing drums. So, technically, I’ve been a professional musician for years, just not a famous one. If you get paid to do a job, you are a professional. Sometimes I tell people (for my own amusement) that I am a “local” celebrity. What the heck does that mean? It means that some people know me because I play drums with various bands. Does it impress people? Not much. But it sure makes me laugh! I’ve never been afraid to take on challenges and “blaze the trail” of my own life. When I switched professions at 37, I was scared to death. People generally don’t transition into a new profession that late in the game. I am very fortunate that I was successful at such a radical change.
I have been offered the Dean of Student Services position and I’m happy to report that I have accepted. So having said all that (and nothing at all), thanks for being great students. I will teach out the classes I have for this session and then assume the Dean of Student Services position at the end of this five weeks. I’m glad that I’m not leaving you entirely. I’ll be here for you, just in a different capacity. Actually, I’ll be able to better serve your needs, in my opinion. All you have to do is knock on my door.
I’ll still be writing this blog, so keep checking back for my “adventures at SJVC”.
Peace…you guys totally rock!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Change is what makes life exciting. I never regret things things I have done nor do I want to change the because its has made me who I am today. Sometimes when a chsnge is accuring its semms like the worst thing that could happen but later on you realize that it was instead the best thing that could of happened. I believe that people should take chances and try new things. You never know what day is going to be your last so you might as well live to the fullest.

1:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations!! Mr. Judd, I am sure this new position will bring you many more hedaches but i am sure you will know how to handle it. wish you the best and remember that Dean Of Students is only the begining of a new carrer

1:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congradulations on your new role of being a dean. I do agree that change is very different, and difficult. We sometimes don't want to change because we are afraid. We feel that we will not make it. I say this, because it relates to me a whole lot. I am scared to change and to try new things. I want a better job, but i am scared that i will fail. I think about that if i don't make it, i will fall behind with bills, and that i will have a really hard time getting back on feet. Their are not that many jobs in Fresno, and i know that when you have a job, you really need to value it because of the benifits and because the shortage of jobs. Sometimes I feel stressed out because i want to be someone in life and i feel i will fail. I belive in myself, but it is hard. I know i have my family to back me up if anything were to go wrong, but i don't want to disapoint them. I've always been the one daughter that never asked for help, and that would always do things for others to help them out. I always did things for myself. Everything I've had, its because i worked hard for it, and if i fail, i think i am failing for myself and my family. I would feel embarrased that, that my whole life I've done things for myself and know i can't. I think i really need help in showing my feelings and expressing myself. The reason i don't do this is because i am scared, and i am embarrased of what people would think of me. I don't want to be laughed at.

1:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can relate to the change in your life. I decided that it was time for me to make a big change in my life too! By enrolling here at SJVC it was a start. I have enjoyed being home with my kids the past four years, but financially it was starting to affect my family. Everything is just so expensive these days, and it just takes two. The mortgage payment is just overwhelming. I really don’t know how young couples afford to buy house. I think the only answer is education. Getting an education will hopefully help you find e decent job. So far I don’t regret going back to school. I like it here at SJVC, the teachers have been great so far. I hope by coming here to find a well paying job one day so that I can provide a nice life for my kids. This change will pay off.

12:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. Judd I really enjoy this blog....why you may ask....hmmm....

Well it's because that is the same way I feel about life...yeah, yeah I'm not much on the whole planning your life stuff....seriously I'm really not into planning...I live life day by day...and with no regrets....I just try and not to do it again...well...if it was a bad experience....I know alot of people who planned there life... almost to the second...and I wander geesh what would they do if their plans didn't go as planned....and guess what I've had my fair share of dealing with them...guess what I do....I just laugh at them...sounds rude and harsh huh....no actually believe it or not they laugh right along with me...and ofcourse I end up saying to them...."told you so"....but is there an end to when and how much you change...c'mon I've changed my career several times and I'm 27, I still think I'm young so guess what when I'm done here at SJVC I'm off again to a new adventure....

Thanks Mr. Judd...you are an excellent teacher...

Prepare for the best but expect the worse because change is good and there's always room for change...

~annie

9:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree completely with the views on change. Change is what brought me here. I was working in a warehouse, and living fairly comfortably. I made enough to cover the bills, pay child suport, and have a little extra on the side. But I had topped out at the company in a year's time, I could go no further until turnover occured. It happened about six months later and I was promoted into a management position. But, being the overachiever, I trained the guy below me to assume my position if anything happened within the Supervisor's sector. Something happened, I got injured on the job, so corporate said I was threat to the general well being of the company. Screw them, 10.25 ain't enough anyway.
So I changed. I came back to school. I needed to have more opportunity and peace of mind, and get out of the day to day mentality and begin looking to the future that I wanted to have, not what someone wanted to give me. I'm content now, and I also have a firm grasp of what I'm capable of doing. Seventeen weeks worth of classes and I'll be making another change. Then that change will be okay for about a year, then another change will come about when I move out of Fresno to somewhere else and pursue a career there, along with a bachelor's to a master's degree.

There's a saying that I live by: "Today is the first day of the rest of your life!" It's up to you to shape it.

Chris Christopherson

1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home