Monday, October 09, 2006

Let your soul...be your guide

The joke goes, “What do you call a girl that hangs around musicians? A groupie. What do you call a guy that hangs around musicians? A drummer.” That one always cracks me up because it hints at what others perceive the mentality of drummers to be and other musicians’ attitudes towards them. When I tell people that I’m a drummer, I feel the need to also tell them that I play guitar, bass, keyboards, classical percussion, I sing and write and have a degree in music. Whew. I try to say it all in one breath too! I guess that I want people to respect me and to be impressed as well. I know, I know, not very humble, but it’s true. I think people perceive drummers to be like Animal the drummer from the Muppet Show. BEAT DRUMS! BEAT DRUMS! Ha Ha. Very funny. Think about something in your life that you are proud of and maybe people don’t show, what you feel to be, the proper respect for it. I’ve been playing drums longer than some of you have been alive. If I wasn’t any good, I should have stopped a long time ago. But, I’ve persisted and had some unique experiences because of it.
Now, I will say that sometimes it has cost me as well. There were times, when I was playing with an original band in the 90’s, that we would practice 4 nights a week. My home life suffered because of it, but I was “riding the wave of the dream” and the promise of being rich and famous. I couldn’t help myself. It’s like an addiction sometimes.
Some of you talked about playing musical instruments and have stopped for one reason or another. Music is very therapeutic. When I am mad and “road raging”, I want to hear Marilyn Manson, Korn, Disturbed, Slipknot, Mudvayne; anything to commiserate with. When I’m sad, I want to hear Sam Cooke, Motown, Journey ballads, the Purple Rain soundtrack; anything to let me know that I’m not the only one to hurt or be lonely. It helps us through our moods. Sometimes I base my whole day on what songs are played on the radio on the way to work. Silly, huh? How many of you can relate? Music is very powerful; the right song at the right time can help people fall in love. I remember dating a girl named Gina in high school. We both loved Prince, so whenever I wanted to think about her, I would play The Beautiful Ones from the Purple Rain soundtrack. Still gets me every time. You can remember yourself through music. Some of my strongest memories (good and bad) are tied to music. When Ms H and I finished our first date, I kissed her goodbye and got in my car and Lenny Kravitz’ All of My Life (Wonder if I’ll Ever See You Again) was just coming on the radio. I called her on her cell phone, in the middle of the song, told her I had a great time and asked for a second date. She had just called her dad and sister and said that she didn’t think I was interested in her. If that song hadn’t come on at just the right time, Ms H and I might not be together today. How spooky is that? So, let the music move you and guide you. You never know what’s around the corner.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dean Judd, Some say that music is like medicine to bad times, I can remember falling in love with my favorite songs or listening to soft rock (98.9 FM) Delilah =) I find music to be the best there is besides sex =).

1:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i totally agree what your sayin because theres always a song that reminds me of someone or something i did. like when im in the car with my friends and a song comes up we like start remembering things and start talkin about that day.

1:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can relate to this. Songs are very powerful. They really can bring good and bad memories. Songs have a way of telling a story. Even though you don’t understand it, the rhythm sounds good and that is the way to understand. You don’t have to know the language, because it still sounds good.

1:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can relate to you when you said “music moves you” because it really moves me too. Probably not in the same way, but music definitely has an impact in my life. I cannot go a day without music. I’m not a singer, drummer or song writer; however, I really do enjoy music. Every song that I like reminds me of a certain point in my life. For example, at one point in my life I felt that the world was against me. The only one that I could turn to was my husband, who at that time was my boyfriend. I just felt so lost in life and was not sure of what to do. So I decided to sit back and listen to some music and let my brain wander. All of a sudden, the song “Stickwidu” by Pussycat Dolls came on and I just cried. I knew that it was a sign for me to stick with my boyfriend because he’s the one that has been there for me and understood me. It was telling me that despite all the bad things that were going on, he was still there right by my side. So now, whenever that song comes on it will always remind me why I feel so loved. That was one example of how music can move me.

12:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Music is something that I keep close to my heart because of all the memories that comes back just by remebering a toon from years past. The memories that come back are those of good and bad, but most of my memories are bad, but only because of the hurt and the anguish that I went through at that those points in my life. The good memories are when growing up people like old friends or old high school situations come to mind because those will always be times that I am proud of and hold good memories of. As far as my musical abilities, well they are very limited and I guess that's why I hold musicians in high regard for the many hours and sacrifices that they put into their music.

1:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The life being a musician must be hard and yet fun and exciting. I wish that I continued with playing drums and piano, but I got older and started playing sports and ther went the music career. I think people that play an instrument very high because it takes sacrifice and determination to do what they do, so go on wit your bad self and keep pounding the strings or drums.

Peace Out.......

1:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home